When you start pondering your next golf get-away, Myrtle Beach should always be one of the first places to think about—particularly if you haven’t had a chance to get down there before. With more than 80 golf courses to choose from within an hour’s drive, great food and fantastic beaches for when you need to cool out, MB is truly a golfer’s paradise.
And while you consider your options, take a good look at the Waccamaw Golf Trail. South Carolina offers many of the finest public courses in the country, and the Waccamaw Trail includes some of the very best.
In addition to Jack’s great track at Pawley’s Plantation Golf & Country Club and TPC Myrtle Beach (a fantastic Tom Fazio layout), the Waccamaw Trail also includes two amazing courses laid out by Mike Strantz—Caledonia Golf & Fish Club and True Blue Plantation.
Although Mike Strantz passed away tragically at only fifty years of age, he left us with some of the greatest courses in the world, including Tobacco Road in Sanford, NC (perennially ranked by Golf Digest among the Top 100 public courses in the U.S.) and Royal Kent in Providence Forge, VA (ranked year in and year out among the best in Virginia).
In 2000 Strantz was named one of the “Top 10 Greatest Architects of All Time” by Golfweek Magazine, and the Waccamaw Trail includes two of his best. Caledonia is a Strantz masterpiece that is always ranked among the Top 100 Public Courses in the country by Golf Digest, and True Blue ranks among the premier courses in SC every year.
All of the courses on the Waccamaw Trail are excellent, so if you add this group to your bucket list, you’re guaranteed to have a trip that brings a smile for years to come.
- Blackmoor Golf Club/Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
- Caledonia Golf & Fish Club/Pawleys Island, SC 29585
- Holes 18
- Course Architects: Mike Strantz/Tyler Rae
- USGA Course/Slope Rating: 71.4/144
- Practice Facilities: Wedge Range, Putting and Chipping Greens with Bunker (Full Grass Driving Range and Steve Dresser Golf Academy available at True Blue Course. Range Balls included with Greens Fee).
- Rankings: Golf Digest Top 100 Public, Golfweek Top 200 Resorts, Golfweek S.C. Top 15-Public, Golf Digest S.C. Top 25, Golf Digest Myrtle Beach Super 60
- GolfDay Rating: 100.00
- Founders Club at Pawley’s Island/Pawleys Island, SC 29585
- Litchfield Country Club/Pawleys Island, SC 29585
- Pawley’s Plantation Golf & Country Club/Pawleys Island SC 29585
- River Club/Pawleys Island, SC 29585
- TPC Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet, SC 29585
- Tradition Golf Club/Pawleys Island, S.C 29585
- True Blue Plantation/Pawleys Island, SC 29585
- Holes 18
- Architects: Mike Strantz/Tyler Rae
- USGA Course/Slope Rating: 78.4/147
- Practice Facilities: Grass Driving Range with Targets, Putting and Chipping Greens with Bunker and Steve Dresser Golf Academy
- Rankings: Golfweek S.C. Top 15-Public, Golf Digest Myrtle Beach Super 60
- GolfDay Rating: 97.8
- Wachesaw Plantation East/Myrtle Beach SC 29576
- Willbrook Plantation/Pawleys Island, SC 29585